Saturday, January 2, 2016

The HUGE Dealbreaker in my High Demand Church (QF: The View from Here)


This series of posts results includes excerpts from information shared with a journalist in August of 2015 who had questions about the Quiverfull Movement as it related to the Duggar Family.
Find the Index of all posts HERE.

Question:
Can you also elaborate on the stories you have heard about the control methods used within QF? How does spiritual abuse within QF actually manifest itself?

Response Part Two:

Generally, most people end up realizing abuse only after suffering some great loss or witnessing a very significant abuse. For me, I suddenly became aware of domestic abuse among wives in our congregation and then learned that wives were told to submit. I refused to believe it until I worked in the church office one morning. An acquaintance of mine kept phoning before the pastor had even arrived on a Monday, and by the time he left for lunch she’d called him and talked with him multiple times. She would not talk with me.

As the pastor left for lunch and told me when he planned to return, I asked him if it were proper for me to know, was there anything that I could do in the event that this woman called back again. He very glibly told me that her husband had a scuffle with her, shoved her down their basement steps, and locked her in the basement. Because of his attitude and lack of immediate concern, I’d assumed that this had happened over the weekend. Later I learned that the woman had access to a phone and was calling the church from her confinement. I was devastated when I learned that she was trapped, and had I known and understood, I would have been there as soon as I could get there — with the police and an axe to liberate her. That is when my own
shelf” really gave way.

~ Cynthia Kunsman
The view of Quiverfull from my vantage
August 2015