Friday, January 1, 2016

Shock, Awe and Curses (QF: The View from Here)


This series of posts results includes excerpts from information shared with a journalist in August of 2015 who had questions about the Quiverfull Movement as it related to the Duggar Family.

Find the Index of all posts HERE.

Question:
Can you also elaborate on the stories you have heard about the control methods used within QF? How does spiritual abuse within QF actually manifest itself?

Response Part Three:

One significant leader was abandoned by a homeschooling organization that promised him a gainful job and healthcare, so he moved his whole family to another country. He was never paid, and upon diagnosis with cancer, he and his family were abandoned and defamed. When he pursued legal recourse to gain some help for his family through a mediation program, the organization used the process to play out the statute of limitations so that he no longer could seek justice.

That very gracious and broken man told me that had he not lived the experience out for himself, he would have never believed that Christians could be possible of behaving in such a way that left him devastated.

I’m also reminded of the process of cursing that many controlling churches use to threaten members into remaining in their groups. It is an adjunct to the process of shunning — a variation on that threat of withdrawing personhood from the member. When I told an elder at my own church that I would not return, I was told that great calamity would befall me. My husband would lose his job. I could get cancer. I should be glad that I had no children, for God could strike them dead in judgement for leaving without the blessing of the elders. A friend of mine was once told that she would be visited by “The Three Ds”: death, disease, and divorce. Such threats seem magnified when entrenched in the dynamics of spiritual abuse.

A person might be pressured to have more children, to give more money, to be more submissive, or to be more active in church. Any lack of compliance threatens the leadership and threatens to disrupt the control that they hold over the interworking and the communication within the high demand community.

~ Cynthia Kunsman
The view of Quiverfull from my vantage
August 2015