Sunday, January 24, 2016

Rejection of the Childless in Quvierfull (QF: The View from Here)


This series of posts results includes excerpts from information shared with a journalist in August of 2015 who had questions about the Quiverfull Movement as it related to the Duggar Family.

Find the Index of all posts HERE.

Question:
In your initial email you mention that you've never been able to carry a pregnancy beyond eight weeks. Have you heard of women being shunned from QF for a similar reason? If a woman is made to believe her entire purpose is to procreate, where does that leave those who cannot?


Response Part Two:

QF/P churches, on the other hand, do not welcome couples who does not already have children. When I lived in the San Antonio area, I attended a Presbyterian church with Doug Phillips and many of his followers, just before he established Boerne Christian Assembly (his own local “family integrated church” which caters specifically to the needs of homeschoolers). In order to visit to attend a service there, should I have desired to do so, I would have to have been invited privately and brought along with a member in good standing. 

I was seen as a pariah by those who attended there, though I was once invited to a Bible study for women which I declined to attend. In the cases of such churches at the hard end of the continuum, my husband and I would not have been eligible for membership, as it was presumed that we had rejected God’s mandate to procreate or to adopt, regardless of any mitigating circumstances including health or employment. If we did attend, we would have to be assigned to another family to be supportive to them in order to participate in the strictly family oriented activities.


~ Cynthia Kunsman
The view of Quiverfull from my vantage
August 2015