Friday, January 22, 2016

Gradually Culled into Patriarchy (QF: The View from Here)


This series of posts results includes excerpts from information shared with a journalist in August of 2015 who had questions about the Quiverfull Movement as it related to the Duggar Family.
Find the Index of all posts HERE.

Question:
What changes did you see among the many peers that did join QF? How did their personalities, dress, happiness levels et cetera alter?


Response Part Two:

I did have a friend who participated in Doug Phillips’ local homeschooling support community, and she initially viewed his beliefs as extreme. I’d been to their home many times and spent time with their family, and dinner parties often included very critical discussions of the beliefs that Vision Forum held concerning women. 

As this local program became more established and founded a local church for homeschoolers, after a single Bible study, I witnessed a complete change in attitude in my friend after only two sessions. Beall Phillips, the leader’s wife, began conducting midweek meetings for mothers in her home. After my friend attended only two of them, I feel like I’d lost her forever. My blood ran cold when I inquired about the sudden change in her attitude towards Vision Forum. 

 Her response sounded so much to me like Frank Sinatra’s rehearsed response in the film, The Manchurian Candidate, and she invited me to attend the next one with her. Still quite hypervigilant and affected by PTSD from my own experience, I never attempted to contact her again, and I never again heard from her.


~ Cynthia Kunsman
The view of Quiverfull from my vantage
August 2015